Doctoral Programme in Architecture & Technology
The Doctoral Programme in Architecture & Technology is oriented toward the training of scholars in the fields of engineering, science and technology in architecture, with a focus on architecture, building engineering and digital and computational technologies.
We are offering 3 full-time (100%) PhD positions in the interdisciplinary Architecture & Technology PhD programme to start on October 1, 2016.
About the Programme
The doctoral programme in Architecture and Technology is a highly interdisciplinary PhD programme, offered and managed collaboratively by the chairs at the Institute of Technology in Architecture (ITA) at the department of Architecture (D-ARCH), ETH Zurich. For more information about ITA please see the institute’s website.
The following professors/chairs are currently involved in the PhD programme. Successful applicants will join one of these chairs:
- Prof. Sacha Menz, Chair of Architecture and Building Process
- Prof. Fabio Gramazio, Prof. Matthias Kohler, Chair of Architecture and Digital Fabrication
- Prof. Dr. Jan Carmeliet, Chair of Building Physics
- Prof. Dr. Ludger Hovestadt, Chair of Computer-Aided Architectural Design (CAAD)
- Prof. Dr. Joseph Schwartz, Chair of Structural Design
- Prof. Dr. Arno Schlüter, Chair of Architecture and Building Systems
- Prof. Dr. Philippe Block, Chair of Architecture and Structures (BRG)
Therefore, applicants are strongly recommended to check the research focus of these chairs in order to find the chair whose research is most related and/or interesting to the applicant’s own. As part of the application process, all applicants must clearly mention the names of two professors that they are willing to work with.
Although the successful applicant will work directly with one of the chairs/professors, because of the interdisciplinary nature of the programme, there are several milestones at which PhD students need to present their works in progress for other professors as well for other researchers at ITA (Note that currently there are more than 50 PhD students working on various research topics at the ITA’s different chairs).
The application process is highly competitive. We are looking for excellent young researchers with a background in engineering and technology, as well as architects with experience in research and an interest in relating building technology or engineering to building practice. Research interests and directions should be matched to one of the above-mentioned research groups.
Suitable candidates must hold a Master’s degree acquired at university level (equivalent to the FHEQ-Level 7) in architecture, engineering or related fields.
The application process will be as follows:
- Applications (as requested below) must be submitted online until January 31, 2016.
- Applicants are asked to select two professorships as their preferred chairs. After initial screening, the eligible application dossiers will be sent to the corresponding professorships. Then, each professorship may select one or two candidates to be part of the shortlisted group.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an online interview with the participating professors.
- The selected applicants will be informed as soon as possible following the interviews.
Applications must consist of the following documents:
- A letter of motivation, stating his or her future career intentions, reasons for wanting to pursue a doctorate in Architecture & Technology at ETH Zurich, arguments why he/she would be a good candidate and how his/her background has prepared them for doctoral studies. Two preferred professorships at ITA where the applicants would like to undertake his/her PhD research must be mentioned in this letter.
- A three-page (maximum) research statement, including
- The identification of the main research field(s) or topic(s) of interest,
- A summary and outline of the research proposal,
- An (academic/long) curriculum vitae, including a publication list, a portfolio or related work samples (please, provide a download link in your application for larger files).
Application packages with cover letter must be submitted online via https://apply.refline.ch/845721/4179/pub/1/index.html with attention to: ETH Zurich, Mr. Matthias Steiger, Human Resources, CH-8092 Zürich. The submission deadline (including recommendation letters) is January 31, 2016. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
What ETH Zurich offers to successful applicants
The programme provides funding for three years, with an option to extend for up to 6 additional months (after approval by the professors of ITA). There are well-defined levels of PhD student contracts at ETH Zurich. Successful applicants will be employed 100% (based on a “Standard rate”) and will receive monthly salaries. For a detail calculation of salaries please refer to this link: https://www.ethz.ch/en/the-eth-zurich/welcome-center/employment-contract-and-salary/salary.html
Additionally, applicants can find useful information about living and working in Zurich at: https://www.ethz.ch/en/the-eth-zurich/working-teaching-and-research.html